Monday, July 20, 2009

A Romcom Princess

Flipping through this month's Marie Claire (note, I did not buy it...just read it in Waterstones :)) I came across an interesting article about how romantic comedies can be a disaster to your love life. I am undeniably a big fan of romcoms myself. Uh oh does that sound disastrous?

Quote from the article: "...researchers found that people who watched them were more likely to believe in predestined love and as a result were less likely to communicate what they want with their partners...". Hmm I do admit I sometimes think love is predestined. Or stepping back a lil and looking at a wider picture, I think a lot of things are predestined, not only love.

One point being so true is that romcoms make you crave for those fantasies. Maybe not everything. Those lil things that girls will think is sweet when a guy do something for e.g., although insignificant (and the guy might not even realise).

It does make you feel a lil more demanding and a lil more picky because you have criterias and check boxes that are already embeded in your mind, consiously or subconsiously. Another alarming quote: "...there are 20% more single women than it used to a decade ago...".

So are these romcoms brain washing our minds, leading us into thinking that we deserve someone better? Hmm...no?
Well at least I think meeting the "RIGHT" guy is not easy anyway...although it never was hard after you've found one. I suppose if you are practical enough to pull yourself out of all the wonderful reveries after the movie, you will be fine ;). That is what I believe anyway.

I mean, come on, how likely are you going to bump into your Mr. Right on a street or along a medieval bridge or in the art gallery, how likely is it to bump into your ideal hottie on the check out queue at your local convenience store, how likely is it to bump into your perfect guy by accidentally crashing into his office?!?!

No comments:

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Back to TOP