Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Day I made Enemy With a Turnip

Ok so this is old story, but just felt like blogging this since I recall my old nasty experience every time I saw the scar on my finger ><. The story starts like this... A question frequently asked by people when I go back M'sia is "How did you manage to live and stay alone in UK?"...
"Well I simply got used to it and yea I have to do a lot of things on my own" (but so what, I can manage it independently, that is the whole purpose of living alone, learning how to be independent).

But then the question comes down to ok so CAN I actually do everything myself? Nope. But so what again. I just have to when it comes to it right? Yea yea. And so comes the day I made enemy with a turnip...Thought of making Ju Hu Char one day and so got some mini turnips from asda. Took out my brand new chopping board and big sharp knife and on the board the turnips go. "Accidentally" (no need to mention!) I cut my index finger on the first chop. Blood, alot of them! Tried to stop the bleed but not quite successful. I panicked. Tried cleaned it for a bit and put plaster on it. The pain had still not subdued. I sat there contemplating what I should do. And after a long thought, I took out the list of GPs in Hatfield. It's a Saturday evening, I tried calling but all calls got diverted to the answering machine. GPs in UK are closed on weekends (what kind of medical service on earth is this! Just when I needed it!). The last called got diverted to a hospital emergency dept. The woman said "You have to come to the hospital yourself". After hanging up, I didn't move an inch and thought again, ok so yea I can go to the hospital but it's only a finger cut. I might be sitting there for hours before anyone is free to attend to me. And so I gave up that idea. Not having a first aid kit or any extra plasters around, I simply get changed and went to the nearest drug store for some. Came back and clean the wound again with some tea oil and put another plaster on. The bleeding only stops the next morning. Well it wasn't bleeding profusely but there are still blood soaking the plaster. The wound got a bit bruised for the next few days. And there goes my story with a turnip, leaving the wound slowly to heal.

Back to the question of how I felt living without my family around? Hmm not sure, I guess that's another kind of experience into my pocket.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is the truth, sometime we have to face things on our own, when the unfortunate comes. But help is always there, it is just the matter of time, sometime it comes faster, sometime it comes late. And it can be in many forms, suggestion, action, comfort... There is no question that people can be able to do everything themselve, but the question is, does it have to be like that? Either ways, as long as we feels it is good for ourselves or it is the right way, then it is ok. But there is already a good listener to hear your complainS.

rightmywrong said...

Yeah give me a call...I know how to stop your bleeding...remember we were both in Red Cross?:P

Seriously now, even though I've never lived alone for all the yrs I spent here in US, mentally, I'm pretty much by myself. I wish someone else would do all the things for me but come on, we cannot count on other people for the rest of our lives right? I try not to be too dependent because I know I can seriously smell trouble if I'm making this a habit. I cut my finger once and I told myself I'm going to be really careful next time..I guess that's how we learn, we learn from our own mistakes..

I know you are not that fragile of a person and living alone is sup sup sui..hehe while u r at it, why not add some spice to your life...i'm sure there are stories to tell 20 years later..and i'm waiting for that day to arrive =)

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Back to TOP